Once you’ve made plans for an extended vacation, you’ll need to make plans to help ensure your home and valuables are looked after in your absence. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Upgrade your home security system to enable live alerts to your cell phone or tablet.
- Update your smartphone with contacts, including local police, your insurance agent, and a 24-hour home repair service in case of a home break-in or severe weather damage.
- Keep in touch with a trusted neighbour or relative who is available on a regular basis to check up on your house or condo, water your plants, etc.
- Unplug appliances and non-essential utilities, and adjust your thermostat a few degrees to avoid unnecessary fees.
- Suspend subscriptions, deliveries and mail, and ensure bills due in your absence are paid in advance.